Monday, October 04, 2004

What's Nicola Roxon Smoking?

I've been slaving away for 8 hours or so on a presentation I have to give tomorrow for Media Law. It's on the riveting topic of Austalia's Freedom of Information (FOI) laws, it's basically a journalists critique.

Some of my fellow students have given away chocolate as rewards for those who pay attention and listen in during their presentations. I'm thinking that it might be more practical if I give everyone a NoDoz at the start of mine.

I've just been looking at the topic of reform of FOI legislation and found that the Labor party, through shadow attorney-general Nicola Roxon, have made somewhat of an election issue out of it. This much I am pleased about.

Now the election is less than a week away now, and I'm not the only person in Australia hanging out for a change of government (hopefully just over 50% of us want the same thing), but I'm a little bit nervous about having Nicola as our attorney general...

Please help me to understand her analogy when explaining the need for FOI reform:

"It is clear that the FOI Act is not the robust, versatile tool our democracy needs. It is more like something you are given at Christmas and don't exactly know how to work, the instructions are not in English and you are not fully confident all the pieces are in the box anyway. And it needs to be fixed. "

My concern is that not all of the pieces are in her box...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home