Sunday, January 09, 2005

Insomnia Induced Music Mayhem

I should really be sleeping, but it just ain't happening...

So here's a game that I discovered at The Moocher's blog:

Step 1: Put your media player on random.
Step 2: Pick your favorite lines from the first 20 songs that play.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song the lines come from.
Step 4: Cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly.


Like Moocher I've also decided to only have one song per artist, so feel free to have a stab in the comments section.

1)
It’s him and her
It’s this and that
I feel my tyres going flat
There’s no get up and go for getting it on
We got all the good reasons for time on our own

2)
Dance with the Sufis celebrate your top ten in the charts of pain
Lover brother bougainvillea my vine twists around your need


3)
You're where you want to be
Where am I?
I'm up a tree
I had a hurt attack
Rolled away
Now I'm bouncing back

4)
I locked my door
I should unlock it
What if you should come this way?
And in and have a drink and dancing

5)
There’s a man who spoke wonders though I’ve never met him
He said, ‘he who seeks finds and who knocks will be let in’


6)
And I really didn’t want that push today
No, I really didn’t want to end this way


7)
I thought this is just today and soon you'd been returning
The coldest blue ocean water cannot stop my heart and mind from burning


8)
Love came calling
As a counterfeit mistress
Stealing from the pockets
Of a sadomasochist


9)
Something about the way you are
Is different to anyone else
You make me forget myself
I’m doing things I’ve never done before

10)
Once Johnny the King made a spit ring
And all the skid kids saw a very, very proud man

11)
Beautiful angel
Pulled apart at birth
Limbless and helpless
I can't even recognize you


12)
Said they'd give you anything you ever wanted
When they lied I knew it was just stable
Children trying hard not to realize
I was sitting right behind you


13)
So the clock moves around and the child is a joy
But Death doesn't care just who it destroys
Now the woman gets sick, thins down to the bone
She says 'Where I'm going next, I'm going alone'

14)
Well I never came here to blow my horn - yeah
That’s just the way that I was born – yeah


15)
I pop pop pop blow blow bubble gum
You taste of Cherryade
There is something here you must show me
From what you are made
Sugar and spice
And all things nice


16)
Every day is just like the day before
All alone a million miles from shore
All of my dreams I dreamed with you
Now they'll die and never come true

17)
There is something in us all that makes somebody want to help
But you're no good to the world when you're no good to yourself

18)
I should stop her
'Cause she's pissing on my lawn
And the lights are out
I guess all my fuses are blown


19)
Did you realise, no one can see inside your view
Did you realise, forwhy this sight belongs to you


20)
Man thinks about a bit of baby girl, and a baby boy
Man makes them happy because man makes them toys


I think there's a few tough ones there, so good luck...




SOLUTIONS:

Unsolved in bold.

1) The Waifs - Brain Damage

2) Tori Amos - Cruel

3) Billy Bragg - Body of Water

4) Bonnie Prince Billy - At the Break of Day

5) Nick Cave - Are You the One that I've Been Waiting For?

6) Alex Lloyd - Amazing

7) White Stripes - The Same Boy You've Always Known

8) Jeff Buckley - I Woke Up in a Strange Place

9) The Clouds - Anthem

10) Jeff Lang - We Belong Together (Orig. by Rickie Lee Jones)

11) Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack

12) The Strokes - Is This It

13) Paul Kelly - Deeper Water

14) Dave Graney - A Million Dollars in a Red Velvet Suit

15) Stone Roses - Sally Cinnamon

16) Beth Orton - I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine

17) Weddings, Parties, Anything - Tilting at Windmills

18) Custard - Anatomically Correct

19) Portishead - Strangers

20) James Brown - It's a Man's Man's Man's World

I'll have to do this again sometime...





9 Comments:

At 1:13 pm, Blogger Jessie said...

Oh! Oh! I know one! Number 7 is the White Stripes with 'The Same Boy You've Always Known'. I can play it on guitar. (If you can too you'll know this is not terribly impressive ;) I really dig that line too.

The rest: I draw a blank. I am assuming there's no googling allowed!

 
At 5:04 pm, Blogger viva mandinah said...

I lurveee this game!

Okay first one that stood out was 18) which is of course Custard with Anatomically Correct - my fave song on We Have The Technology.

12) The Strokes - Is This It.

6) Lloydy is indeed Amazing

11) Radiohead - I think it's of Kid A??

19) Portishead - Strangers

2) Tori Amos - I have the tune in my head but not the name of the song...... grrr.

Thats all I have...

 
At 7:24 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Well done Jessie... spot on, but I can't play it, so I think you're impressive...

And Mandy, I'm in a generous mood so I'll pay all of your answers, even the vague ones. (The Radiohead song was "Motion Picture Soundtrack" and the Tori song was "Cruel".)

 
At 10:48 am, Blogger bob francisco said...

15) Sally Cinnamon by the stone roses

 
At 8:21 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Well done Pommy Bob. I thought that one was a tough one, but your Britishness came in handy...

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger viva mandinah said...

Ok one more...Was listening to this CD during work this arvo otherwise would never have got it...

8) I Woke Up In A Strange Place - Jeff Buckley

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger moocher said...

Yay! I like this game! Have been hoping someone else would give it a burl. Hard songs, though - the only one I know is #5 - Nicky Cave & the Bad Seeds, Are You the One That I've Been Waiting For.

 
At 8:25 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Yay Mandy, you're going great guns...

It is a fun game Moocher. There are a few tough ones there, but I thought you'd know #3 as well (Hint: the artist was on you list too, and I guessed the song).

I'll post all the solutions on Friday night.

 
At 9:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist... Thanks for the idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home