Monday, January 17, 2005

Latham 1 Cotard 0

Most people in Australia are aware of Mark Latham's apparent silence on the Asian Tsunami tragedy. Well good people of Australia, I have an explanation.

While holidaying in a NSW resort just before New Year, over a few drinks, the 'big fella' and I had a little bet on who could totally ignore the events in Asia the longest. Well Mark, after I finish this post you will have won our bet, but it may still cost you your leadership...

I have a few things to get off my chest about the Boxing Day Tsunami:

  • It was a bloody disaster.
  • I feel for all of those people whose lives it has affected.
  • The charitable response from people the world over, including Australia, has been amazing.

But this is where I start my rant:

Is it just me, or are others sick to fuck'n death of the commercial media's portrayal of the charity and relief effort provided by Australians, especially in Indonesia?

Is it just me, or is giving to worthwhile charities the right thing to do if you're in a position to do it? Why the big need to run around patting ourselves on the back telling everyone just how fuck'n good we are for doing the right thing?

Is it just me, or does the Australian government's aid package reek of hypocrisy? Remember people, this is a government that would have you believe that refugees are 'illegal immigrants', this is a government that locks up innocent children for periods in excess of two years, this is a government that the majority of Australians voted for only three months ago.

Is it just me, or does it seem like many Australians are using this catastrophic event to make themselves feel better about voting for a conservative government with a woeful record on human rights?

Is it just me, or do others want to see an 'Indonesian separatist' separate Ray 'fuck'n' Martin's toupeed-head from his body... "C'mon Aussie, c'mon" indeed... what an insensitive fuck'n wanker... why doesn't he just fuck off and die?

This has been bugging me for a while now, and I'm aware that I'm probably in the minority, but I feel it needed to be said.

In the words of Darren Hanlon:

These are my principles, if you don't like them I've got others. These are my opinions, if you don't agree I've got big brothers.

I feel better now...

Listening to: JJJ live at the wireless - The Dirty Three


4 Comments:

At 6:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just you, and it's not just Australia.

Addtionally, there has certainly been a lot of donations-for-blog-comments whoring going on in the blogosphere. One big wank-fest. Despicable.

jen

www.lambic.co.uk/jenblog

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger sikamikanico said...

It's not just donating to charity - the commercial media is always "hurrah for Oz!" whenever anything happens here or to an Australian/s overseas.
Bill Bryson put an interesting theory about this in his great book "Down Under" - that Australian's are so used to being ignored by the rest of the world, we're completely obsessed by ourselves.

 
At 3:32 pm, Blogger lori said...

meh..

Ray Martin is just like Mike Willesee all those years ago when he had that exclusive with some gunman and hostages on TV.

scum!

 
At 9:27 pm, Blogger cotard said...

I was expecting a barrage of abuse... thank you for your comments of support.

When I grow up (whenever that is), I actually want to be a journalist. But with Ray Martin's performance in Indonesia and the pack of vultures that helped bring down Mark Latham today... I'm not so sure I want to have these people as colleagues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home