Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Phuck it's hot

It got to 42 deg Celsius (108 deg Fahrenheit) in Perth today... It's now 11pm and still about 33C (91F). Did I mention that it's fuck'n hot?

The Necks were awesome last night. Even though their first track was cut short (at about the 25 minute mark) by two power outages. Amazingly they played through the first one - in complete darkness - without missing a beat, but when it went off for a second time they brought the number to a premature end. It was a brilliant piece too, based around Chris Abrahams' layered melodies on the piano, it's a shame that it wasn't allowed to reach its natural conclusion.

I could be fashionable and blame Eric Ripper for the power outages, but I believe that it was an overload problem within the venue.

After a half hour break, and with full power, the boys hit the stage for song two. Lloyd Swanton got things underway on the upright bass, before being joined by Chris on piano. But the star of the night was Tony Buck on drums. I was totally mesmerised by his performance, I couldn't take my eyes off his flashing sticks, I've never seen drumming like it. To sustain such a performance over the 50-60 minutes of the track was mind-boggling.

All in all, the night almost made up for the fact that I missed fellow body-part band The Shins at the Verandah on Saturday night (tickets were sold-out over a month ago... while I was in NZ).

Listening to: Bjork - Post

5 Comments:

At 4:20 am, Anonymous Jessie said...

So I should probably go see the Shins when they play at orientation on Monday?

 
At 2:36 pm, Blogger Jay said...

Awesome, I just love love love live music.

 
At 12:14 am, Blogger cotard said...

Jess, you should definately go... if only so you can tell me how awesome it was...

 
At 5:24 am, Blogger Jessie said...

It was pretty awesome!

 
At 3:03 pm, Blogger cotard said...

I'm turning green as I type...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home