Tuesday, March 29, 2005

'Clubbing' in Canada

Baby Seal Hunt to Resume in Canada

A controversial seal hunt off Canada's east coast resumes tonight.

The Canadian Government has authorised the killing of up to 320,000 seal pups.

The target of the seal hunt is the harp seal, which for the first few months of its life has a beautiful, clear white coat.

It is those coats that the hunters are after.

In general, they club the seals to death to protect the pelt.

Animal rights groups say the practice is barbaric.

Both the United States and the European Union ban the importation of seal furs; Australia does not.

But the under-employed fishermen in Newfoundland say they need the work and the Government approved the biggest hunt yet this year.

It is unclear what tactics animal rights groups might use to oppose the hunt.


Shame Canada, shame. I thought this sort of thing was outlawed years ago...

And why the hell does Australia still allow the importing of furs?


Listening to: The Shins - Oh, Inverted World

6 Comments:

At 3:13 am, Blogger Melina said...

Do Keith Moon and John Bonham count? I was in-utero for both. my mom was a very cool pregnant teenager. Which made me a very cool non-pregnant teenager/adult

 
At 3:47 am, Blogger PR said...

Shame? For what? - hunting an animal which exists in excess anyway?

You self-righteous blue-state Americans make me ill. Pay a visit to Newfoundland and then make these cluckings.

 
At 2:33 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Peter, I am all for freedom of expression and tolerant of other's opinions, but I feel that I need to point a few things out to you:

- By whose rationale are seal numbers in excess? And if they are in such excess, I'm sure there are more pleasant methods of culling.

- The populations of China and India seem quite excessive, but we refrain from clubbing them to death.

- I'm by no means a hypocrite, I eat and use products made from animals. But I'm fairly confident that none of them were clubbed to a slow and bloody death.

- While the respective governments of Australia and the USA share an uncomfortably close relationship, Australia is not, never has been, and never will be, a state of the USA. As such I did not vote in the November elections of 2004.

- FYI; Australia is the big island continent in the Southern Hemisphere; not where the Govenor of California comes from... if you're still confused, check an atlas.

 
At 2:35 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Oh, and Melina, I presume your comment was for the Top 5 drummers thing... if not I'm waaaay confused.

 
At 3:11 pm, Anonymous jen said...

The seal hunt does not make me proud to be Canadian.

Oh look, the lovely and charming Peter has found you too.

 
At 12:09 pm, Blogger Blondie said...

Sorry I'm Canadian born and also live on that "little island continent that has NOT been colonised by the USA" (yet we'll see how John Howard's efforts go) and I am not a vegetarian (militant friends who are give me the whoops sometimes) but clubbing any animal is barbaric. Blame the industry that means there is some kind of market for the furs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home