Thursday, April 07, 2005

Blame Canada

I seem to have accumulated a few Canadian readers for some reason.

So with them in mind, and while trying really hard not to offend any of them (especially Jay, she can get particularly nasty), I bring you another Top 5:


My Top 5 favourite things to come out of Canada

1) Actress Sarah Polley -
I liked her in "Sweet Hereafter", I loved her in "Go" and she sealed the deal with a mind-blowing performance in "My Life Without Me".
2) Song writer Leonard Cohen - Without doubt one of the finest songwriters of the last century.
3) The film "Barbarian Invasions" - Powerful movie with a great sub-plot and it made me cry like a baby, but don't tell anyone.
4) Singer Diana Krall - Sheer class, and now that she's writing her own stuff with hubby Elvis Costello, she'll only get better.
5) Comedian /Actor Mike Meyers - I was a "Wayne's World" disciple.


Try not to criticise too heavily, instead respond with your own Top 5s.


Listening to: Nick Cave - B-sides and Rarities (actually it was his version of Cohen's "Helpless" that also inspired this post)

9 Comments:

At 9:52 pm, Blogger porkscratchings said...

1. John Candy (Comedian)
2. Maple Syrup
3. "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK" song by Monty Python (technically not Canadian but what the hell)
4. Mike Myers
5. Nelly Furtado

Apparently William Shatner and Scotty are Canadians as well........Beam me up ;-)

 
At 12:03 am, Blogger gkgirl said...

hmmmm...i did not even
want
a blog...and now i have one
just so that i could tell my top 5...

(not in any particular order...)
sarah mclachlan
tragically hip
definately leonard cohen
anne marie macdonald (author from cape breton)
margaret atwood
peter gzowski
jann arden
leslie spitt treeo
blue rodeo
heh heh heh...
yeah i know..its more than 5...
so please
remember it is a limited few
that club seals...
its a big country here...
we do other things too...
:) (oh...and i almost forgot
timothy findley and
mr dressup!!!!!!

 
At 12:07 am, Blogger gkgirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:25 am, Blogger Blondie said...

From a Canadian who hasnt been back since age of 4, I'll try my best going on memories mainly:

1. tales of the Ogopogo (have fun googling THAT one!)
2. remembering the "black and white pussycat" I used to pat (grandparents lived on an indian reservation on shore of Lake Okanogan) ... it was in fact a blind old skunk that never "hit" me but when dad tried to dispose of it, he had to sleep out in a tent for 7 days.
3. first (and only) trick or treating.
4. the smell of a REAL christmas tree
5. the lesson to NOT in fact try to lick an icicle on a porch railing in winter... call it dumber and dumber revisited but hey I was 4!

 
At 12:58 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

too lazy to add own list sorry,, but love your work. I have a friend in British columbia at the moment.. her blogg is http://suburbansafari.blogspot.com/ if you want to have a look at a photo of a 'log bloom' . .. just on the Canada theme...

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Shatner just missed out on mine... I loved his work on "The Practice", but I wasn't a "Trekkie" and I don't really go in for his singing much, although his take on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is hilarious.

 
At 9:13 pm, Anonymous jen said...

1) Me!

2) The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

3) Blue Rodeo

4) Politeness

5) Poutine (ok, not really)

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

that connection to my friend's blog isn't working so you could try http://suburbansafari.blogspot.com/2005/04/alone-ranger.html if interested..

 
At 9:06 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

http://suburbansafari.blogspot.
com/2005/04/alone-ranger.html

woops.. this should all show

 

Post a Comment

<< Home