Friday, April 22, 2005

Just another day at the office...


I thought I'd share an insight into what I do when I'm not blogging.

Most Thursdays nights I drive from Perth into the middle of nowhere delivering mail, newspapers, magazines, medical supplies and other assorted stuff.

I start loading up at about 9pm, and once loaded I leave Perth at about 11pm.

I drive all night, covering a distance of approximately 400kms (250 miles), and stopping at 12 different "Wheatbelt" towns. Some of the town names are fantastic; Gidgegannup, Toodyay, Goomalling, Wyalkatchem, Mukinbudin and Nungarin to name a few.

I arrive at the last town (Trayning) at about 5am and try to get some sleep (we've got a small unit there).

At about 2pm Friday, I make my way back to Perth, picking up at all of the post offices and banks etc. that I stopped at the previous night.

400kms (250 miles) later, I arrive back in Perth at about 8pm. That's a total of 23hrs away from home! I only do this once a week, my dad does it for the rest of the week... I don't know how he does it.

7 Comments:

At 1:13 am, Blogger Phillip said...

how's the pay? enough to live on?

 
At 6:43 am, Blogger Melina said...

I always wondered what you did when you weren't being a student...looks like it could be fun, you and PeeDee taking on the open road! Can't you please send me a postcard from one of those really weird named places?? They are great! Have a good weekend.

 
At 12:54 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

such beautiful country... not a great time of the day to be experiencing it ( over night).. but it is beautiful.. and SO FLAT compared to Queensland. Lucky you like music.& thinking,. it's a long time in a car

 
At 2:10 am, Blogger Jay said...

You must have a lot of great thinking time. What kind of music do you sing along to on these drives?

 
At 10:55 am, Anonymous Lola said...

oh i used to go upto gidge a fair bit, my ex boyfriend came from there. i loved it. they had motorbike tracks (i ran a quad bike into a fence once), a mini swimming pool in an oval full of dirt (i did some naughty things in there once). But the thing i loved the best was that mobile phones just didn't work out there and so you had no choice but to turn it off and enjoy the odd tranquility of the wheatbelt and its amusing inhabitants.

 
At 10:59 am, Blogger cotard said...

Hi all...

- phizz, the pay's alright, considering my dad is the boss. Not enough to live on though. I work in a couple of other casual jobs and also get a study allowance from the government. I manage, but I'm no Oprah or Gates.

- Melina, I'd be happy to send you a postcard, I know Mukinbudin has some good postcards. E-mail me your address and I'll get on to it for you.

- Miss Wendy, driving at night can be boring, but I do get to see the sunrises and sunsets and all sorts of other cool stuff. And it's really eerie driving into towns and not seeing any signs of life... they're like 'ghost-towns' in the middle of the night.

- Jay, at times I think I have too much thinking time... my mind just races. The stereo in the van is f__king useless. I get FM radio most of the way, but then I have to listen to midnight to dawn talkback. Sometimes I wish I had an Ipod.

If any of you come to Perth, I'd be happy to take you on the trip. The hotel in Mukinbudin hires bar-staff from the backpacker hostels in Perth, so I quite often take girls from all over the world up there. Most of them love it, it's like nothing that they've seen anywhere else.

 
At 7:43 am, Blogger Jessie said...

Sometimes you wish you had an ipod?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home