Friday, May 20, 2005

Bent cops create comical headline

Last Update: Friday, May 20, 2005. 11:00am (AEST)
Police sniffer dogs involved will need to be re-trained

Police sniffer dogs involved will need to be re-trained (Reuters)

Cocaine mix-up on the nose for sniffer dogs

An investigation is under way into how a cocaine sample, used for Victorian police sniffer dog training, was substituted with talcum powder.

An audit has revealed one sample contained a white talc-like substance.

The Australian Federal Police supply the cocaine to their Victorian counterparts.

Victorian Police Assistant Commissioner Paul Evans says the Ethical Standards Division is investigating the bungle.

"We had an issue raised to us late last week where we believed that through our internal audit systems we were missing a small amount of cocaine," he said.

"But subsequently our early investigations show that it's an administrative error and that in fact one of the satchels that we did receive did contain talcum powder."

Further forensic testing is now under way and Assistant Commissioner Evans says the dogs involved will need to be re-trained.

"I'm sure our dogs have got very soft, nice smelling noses at the moment, but they are in fact trained in detecting talcum powder so that means that they will have to be re-trained in detecting cocaine," he said.

Stolen from ABC News.

9 Comments:

At 1:40 pm, Blogger Amelia said...

That's a bit of a worry..

Mind you the only sniffer dogs I ever come across are those pesky quarantine beagles.. they always make me nervous.

 
At 7:22 pm, Blogger Melina said...

There's such a thing as a quarantine beagle? Oh I want one. Now!! I was quarantined when I was 8 because I had a violent case of Scarlet Fever...there were no beagles there.

 
At 8:45 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Melina, there are a couple of beagles that work at Perth airport. They're not drug dogs though, they actually check for fruit and vegetables, if they think you've got any in your bag they just sit down and lean against it. They are soooo cute. So when you come to Perth, be sure to bring an apple...

 
At 11:44 am, Blogger sikamikanico said...

Reminds me of the AbFAb episode where Patsy is busted at the aiport, it turns out to be a "harmless substance", and she says, "My God, so I enjoyed playing ping pong?"

 
At 12:29 pm, Blogger lori said...

did you see the one about the russian lake that's gone missing? :P

 
At 3:18 am, Blogger Melina said...

Lori, I saw that...and there was one Russian woman quoted as saying, "The Americans have finally gotten to us!" Ha, we're rude bunch but I doubt we're out stealing lakes...at least I hope we're not.

 
At 8:50 am, Blogger miss wendy said...

I think that's what has happened to my life.. I'm "on the job" but in my initial training someone substituted fake for the real substance and I just keep on finding it!!!

 
At 11:42 am, Blogger Nick said...

I will fly down and pick one up and take him home with me if you don't want them...

 
At 8:50 am, Blogger miss wendy said...

Do sniffer dogs lose their septum? I presume they have them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home