Sunday, May 08, 2005

Overdue post

I promised a post on a highlight from a couple of weeks ago, so here it is.

You may recall that I was having a bit of a 'down' week. On the Thursday I realized that it'd been a while since I'd left my flat for anything other than work or uni, and that can't be too healthy. It was about 5:30pm when I came to this realization, so I made a deal with myself; I was going out! Sure, I had no idea where, and none of my friends would be up for anything at such short notice on a week-night, but I'd made up my mind.

I put on some music jumped in the shower. While in the shower I decided that I'd get ready, jump in the car, pick up the X-Press (our local street-press), give it a quick read, and head straight out to wherever sounded good, and see where the night took me. Twenty minutes later I was all dressed up with no idea where I was going, but I was going.

After a quick flick through of the X-Press, I found out that Freya Hanley (amongst others) was playing in Fremantle. Now, I don't know if I believe in the whole 'fate thing', but it was Freya's CD that I was listening to in the shower ten minutes previous (spooky), and she hadn't played a gig (to the best of my knowledge) since December last year. So off to Freo I went.

I don't usually need an excuse to head to Freo, I love it and miss living there. Once there I visited my old local; Moondyne Joe's, for a couple of beers and a couple of bets (two vices satisfied in one venue). It was then off to another old haunt; The Upmarket, for some cheap and tasty (not nasty) Japanese cuisine, before heading to the venue; The Norfolk Basement.

The gig was awesome. An all female affair. There were seven solo performers on the night, and all the sound and stuff was done by the girls too. As one of the performers said; "we get to twiddle our own nobs tonight". All the sets were quite short, but I really enjoyed what I saw of Sian Brown and Prita Grealy in particular.

I had to start work at 5am the following morning, so I left right after Freya finished, missing the final performer. Although way too short, I loved Freya's set. She opened with my personal favourite "Stay" and also debuted a very humorous new song; "Barfly". I've posted about Freya before, but I really think she has a huge future and I'm looking forward to some new recorded material from her.

I've since found out that the whole night was organised by Freya herself, a great effort. Let's hope that it's not the last of it's kind, I enjoyed it immensely.


Listening to: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Superwolf

1 Comments:

At 4:49 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

jumping in the shower can be dangerous .. and jumping in the car too.. is there no end to your risk taking exploits?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home