Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Super Supporters

After seeing Darren Hanlon more than ably supported by Jens Lekman the other night, I got to thinking about other artists that I've seen as 'support acts' that either outshone or were on a par with the main act of the night.

Yep, it's another top 5...


Top 5 Show-stealing (or near show-stealing) 'Support Acts' I've seen

1) The Strokes
- Supporting You Am I at the Amplifier in Perth. Totally blew me away, I knew I was seeing something special, I almost felt sorry for Tim and the boys from You Am I for having to follow such an awesome performance.

2) Melanie Oxley & Chris Abrahams - Supporting Frente (I think) at the Newport in Fremantle. About 13-14 years ago now (feeling old), I'm pretty sure we'd gone to see Frente. Melanie and Chris only played a brief set, I'd never heard of them before, but Melanie's voice and Chris's keyboard skills left me breathless, and I've been a fan ever since.

3) Jebediah - Supporting You Am I at The Three Bears in Dunsborough. Again, this one was years ago. A very young, and virtually unheard of, Jebediah impressed all of those present, especially Tim from You Am I, who was in vintage 'drunken-Tim-form' on the night; "How good were those cunts? Give it up for Jebediah, those cunts were awesome!" (Note to self: If I ever become good mates with Tim Rogers, do not, under any circumstances, let him give a speech at my wedding.)

4) Freya Hanley - Supporting Clare Bowditch at Mojos in Fremantle. The show was last year, I'd never seen or heard of her. She was easily the best performer on the night. Big things lie ahead for Freya.

5) Jens Lekman - Supporting Darren Hanlon at Mojos. The show was Saturday night, I picked up a copy of his latest CD yesterday, and I still can't get his songs out of my head.


Honourable mentions:

John Butler
- Supporting Jeff Lang at Mojos
The Waifs - Supporting Weddings, Parties, Anything at The Three Bears
Missy Higgins - Supporting The Waifs at Metropolis in Fremantle

Each before they all went on to bigger and better things.

5 Comments:

At 7:25 pm, Blogger Melina said...

Hmm cheating on your top 5 list with the "honourable mention list" don't you think? I kind of remember someone getting a little pissy about other people doing that...hmmm

 
At 7:48 pm, Blogger cotard said...

The honourable mention thing was started by Kim back in October 2004, who am I to fight it?

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger Melika said...

I havent seen you around uni this semester -hows it going?

 
At 9:50 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Hi Melika... I'm only there on Mondays and Wednesdays usually. I'm struggling a bit this semester, I think I'm working too much, but I should be able to struggle through. Yourself?

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger bob francisco said...

I saw the Zutons supporting the Coral at the Lancaster Sugarhouse. Both were pretty small at the time, both awesome.

I missed Easyworld supporting someone at the Sugarhouse as well, i was in the bar in the other room. Hadnt heard of them at the time and they are now one of my fave bands ever, gutted.

bob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home