Friday, July 29, 2005

A different sort of day

I had lunch in Freo today with Mum, Nana (Mum's Mum), Aunty Mary (Dad's Sister) and Fay (family friend). Nana and Aunty Mary are both over from New Zealand.


Aunty Mary is hilarious. There is a shop in Freo called The Pickled Fairy, and on first seeing a sign for it, she enquired as to whether it was the "local gay nightclub".

(Note - To potential gay nightclub owners. My Aunty thought of the name first and who knows, one day we might open a gay nightclub together. So get your own bloody name.)

Aunty Mary is also the only person I know to have married - and then divorced - the same guy, twice. It happened a few years back now, but when news of the second divorce reached one of my cousins who was living in London, the guys she was living with were keen to rename their band, Aunty Mary's Second Divorce.

Lunch was pleasant enough, but I felt like I was a guest star on The Golden Girls. I haven't felt that young and male for a while.

I did get a chance to drift off and do some op-shopping, something that I miss about living in Freo. I even bumped into a couple of old faces, from different times and different places. Each had a toddler in-tow. Doing the obligatory 'catch-up convo' is always interesting and odd. I felt decidedly toddler-deficient.

Listening to: Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind

7 Comments:

At 5:37 am, Blogger Melina said...

Ben Harper played in Philly last night. My friend tried to give me her VIP tickets that she won (she didn't know who he was and had no interest in finding out) but no one was around to go with me :(

 
At 11:49 am, Blogger Blondie said...

know the feeling toddler deficient, but trust me they'd be feeling weird/old parentish about the situation on the flipside. most of my friends are popping out kids - I'm sticking to the wine as the water must be polluted! ;)

good pic

 
At 5:29 am, Blogger Jay said...

You are quite funny today. And very brave to hang out with the Golden Girls. A great aunt of mine has divorced the same man 3 times thus far, and they are currently "on again", so she may go for the 4th yet.

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger mintox said...

Heh heh, i always find it annoying to run into someone from days gone by when they now have a toddler.

It's all they can talk about and then when you explain what youre up to they look all jealous.

Actually, I take that back, its GREAT!

 
At 6:49 am, Blogger Melina said...

Post something! Don't make me come over there and kick your ass!

 
At 2:10 pm, Blogger Blondie said...

hi, you've disappeared!

 
At 6:35 pm, Blogger Jay said...

I think Joey is nervous enough about his trip to mention the drop bears!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home