Sunday, July 10, 2005

"Here are the grapes, and here's the wrath"

I've never read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, but I have seen Nelson's 'diorama' and I have heard Woodie Guthrie's two song summary of the book, so I reckon I'm qualified enough to discuss it.

I listened to the song(s) again last night, and I got to figuring that Joad's ghost must be just as busy now as he's ever been...

"Ever'body might be just one big soul,
Well it looks that a-way to me.
Everywhere that you look, in the day or night,
That's where I'm a-gonna be, Ma,
That's where I'm a-gonna be.

Wherever little children are hungry and cry,
Wherever people ain't free.
Wherever men are fightin' for their rights,
That's where I'm a-gonna be, Ma.
That's where I'm a-gonna be."

From: Woodie Guthrie - Tom Joad Part 2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home