Monday, August 29, 2005

The new haka



Awesome! Spine-chillingly awesome!

What I love about the new All Black haka was not just the performance, but its origins.

The new haka is an inclusive haka, representative of all of the cultures that make up the team, and for that matter, much of the country.

There has already been plenty written about the new haka, but the ABC's PM program covered it on tonights show. Save your eyes and listen to the story here.

Sure, in the scheme of things, it's just a performance put on before a sporting encounter... but I thought it was brilliant to see different cultures uniting with such conviction and passion, all singing from the same page.

WHAT THE HAKA SAYS

Kapa o pango kia whakawhenua au i ahau!
Let me become one with the land
Hi aue, hi!
Ko Aotearoa e ngunguru nei!

This is our land that rumbles
Au, au, aue ha!

And it's my time! It's my moment!
Ko Kapa o Pango e ngunguru nei!

This defines us as the All Blacks
Au, au, aue ha!

It's my time! It's my moment!
I ahaha!
Ka tu te ihiihi

Our dominance
Ka tu te wanawana

Our supremacy will triumph
Ki runga ki te rangi e tu iho nei,
tu iho nei, hi!

And will be placed on high
Ponga ra!

Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi!

All Blacks!
Ponga ra!

Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi, ha!

All Blacks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home