Saturday, August 27, 2005

A potful of sour grapes calling the kettle black

Who doesn't love a mixed metaphor?

As I pictorially predicted a couple of weeks back, Jason 'Dizzy' Gillespie was quite rightly given the arse from Australia's troubled test cricket team.

However, instead of vanishing to the depths of the grandstand to mix the drinks for his teammates, as someone who has only taken three test wickets on this tour (at an average of one hundred) should, Dizzy has decided to take a swipe at the English cricket fans.

In the words of Diz:

"Some of the crowd behaviour is appalling, the insulting things people say"

"People pay their money to come in and they think it is their right to question your parentage and have a crack at your mother"

"It's always these guys that abuse you, call you effing this and effing that and 10 seconds later they are asking for an autograph for their kids. You say, 'Look mate, I'm not going to sign it for you', and all of a sudden you are the worst bloke in the history of the world, so you can't win."

Oh the poor poor man... my heart bleeds. I'm sure most of us would be able to put up with all sorts of abuse for the sort of money he gets paid. And really, if he'd played as badly in Australia, I'm sure the crowds here would get stuck into him too, I seem to remember Mike Whitney copping all sorts at the WACA one year, he even had stuff thrown at him.

But perhaps the best response came from The Barmy Army's Katie Cook:

"Us lot questioning his parentage or saying he lives in a caravan - and let's face it, he looks like it - is not bad compared to what the Australian public give the English players over there. Hopefully, we're squaring it up now."

The image “http://specials.rediff.com/cricket/2005/apr/07cric15.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Look at the man... she has a point.

And let's not forget the performance of Australian crowds toward touring players such as Richard Hadlee, Phil Tufnell and Muttiah Muralitharan. Those guys copped it a lot worse than our poor Dizzy, and they were playing better cricket too (well, maybe not Phil Tufnell).

Listening to: Nick Cave - B-Sides and Rarities

2 Comments:

At 6:28 am, Blogger ozbhoy said...

I have little sympathy for Gillespie as I realise the crowds here are very vocal and very nasty.

I myself have meted out some abuse towards the opposition. Arjuna Ranatunga spent a whole day being abused by myself and others around me at the SCG many years ago and I was also present at the SCG when SAfrican spinner Pat Symcox had a whole BBQ chook thrown at him.

I also was an instigator for a whole bay at the SCG singing 'Free Nelson Mandela' to Darryl Cullinan.

Happy days.

I've gotten a bit off track I just wanted to say if you dish it out you have to expect it back.

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Jay said...

I really have no idea what you are talking about, but he does look scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home