Saturday, October 01, 2005

Bizarro parallel universe

I think I've gone past some critical stage in a person's lifeline where their relationship with their parents does a 180deg flip.

In the past, I'd go to my parents if I had got myself into a spot of bother, if I needed some advice, if I needed to borrow cash etc. etc.

Lately it seems that I'm the first port of call for my parents when life throws up one of its assorted challenges. Quite frankly, I don't think I'm ready for the responsibility.

In the past 12 months they've sought advice everything from car purchases to dealing with insurance companies to health enquiries to major financial decisions.

They don't seem to realize that I own a $500 bomb of a car, I have NO insurance of any kind, I haven't been to a doctor since I nearly broke my ankle in a drunken accident at the Perth Cup three years ago and my bank statements make for sadder reading than any tear-jerking novel.

Yet, still they ring.

Last night mum rang me to let me know dad had been involved in an accident. She gave me some sketchy second hand details, then asked me what they should do.

How the fuck should I know?!?

I'd better go over tonight and make sure the old bastard's okay.

Listening to: Homegrown on RTR

2 Comments:

At 3:23 pm, Anonymous lori said...

I feel the same way about my parents. However they started leaning on me when I was about 20 after my sister caused some issues at home. Now that my sister is being responsible (12 years later), I don't need to be burdened as much. However.. I am still first port of call whenever something goes wrong.

I guess what I am saying is, you're never ready. It starts happening and you just do what you have to do.

 
At 11:24 am, Blogger michellesarah said...

My parents-IN-LAW do the same to me....

Whaddya think Michelle? Should we buy this house, or this house? D'ya think it's going to increase in value?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I have my opinions but you've got about 27yrs more experience on me! The pressure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home