Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ear candy

Two musically inspired top 5s for the price of one (no steak knives though).


My Top 5 favourite male vocalists - based on quality of voice.


1) Thom Yorke - He's as ugly as a hatful of arseholes, but he could sing the phonebook and I'd pay to listen.

The image “http://www.blackmailmag.com/images/MUSICA/Thom-Yorke-Radiohead.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

2) Jeff Buckley - A much stronger singer than swimmer. His take on Cohen's Hallelujah still gives me chills.

3) Hamish Cowan - The Cordrazine album From Here to Wherever is one of the most under-rated Australian albums of all time.

4) Elvis Costello - I've always loved his music, but fell in love with his voice when he sang unaccompanied (by instrument or microphone) at the Perth Concert Hall... a-fucking-mazing!

5) Nick Drake - Hauntingly beautiful vocalist.


My Top 5 favourite female vocalists - based on quality of voice.

1) Melanie Oxley - Her voice is like velvet.

The image “http://theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1057179110005_2003/07/04/04OXLEY,0.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

2) Lou Rhodes - I heard a stripped-back live recording of Wonder recently... irresistible. (Check this out)

3) Lenka - I've only heard her sing on some Decoder Ring tracks, such as Somersault, but I've heard enough to know that her voice is utterly gorgeous.

4) Chan Marshall - Her voice conveys so much emotion.

5) Missy Higgins - I've always been a bit of a fan, but her cover of the Split Enz track Stuff and Nonsense is the best thing I've heard this year.


Disclaimer: If I did these lists again tomorrow, they'd probably be different.


Listening to: She Will Have Her Way - The Songs of Tim & Neil Finn

7 Comments:

At 9:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thom York is a wierd prick but, damn, can he sing. Also- have you listened to the Handsome Boy Modelling School song "I've been thinking" with Chan Marshall as guest vocals? It's beautiful- you will love it.

I am not ashamed to say that my mum was sucked in by Danoz Direct and we are the proud owners of a set of TITANIUM STEAK KNIVES. Have yet to saw my shoes with them tho.

Chuffed_enuff

 
At 9:49 am, Blogger Steph said...

Ok, I'm a heathen who loves Top 40 music. SUE ME!

Love Missy Higgins but haven't heard of the rest of them.

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

hello :)
just popping in to say thanks for linking to me.
i bought she will have her way based on the missy higgins song too. i probably would have bought it anyway, but she made me get it *now*. im seeing her and ben lee play next saturday night, yay!

so yeah, thanks, hope to see you round...unless you're one of those fat nazis...hmm...no, you seem nice

 
At 9:31 pm, Blogger ozbhoy said...

I wouls have to add Bjork and Sinead O'connor to my female list. They both have voices that can make me weep.

 
At 9:32 pm, Blogger ozbhoy said...

Oh and the Jeff Buckley comment...
Champagne comedy.

 
At 7:32 am, Blogger sikamikanico said...

5/5 for the male vocalists.

 
At 8:18 pm, Blogger Melika said...

I loved cordrazine! I saw them live so many years ago.... what ever happened to them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home