Friday, October 28, 2005

Where's the accountability?

Sometimes I struggle to put in to words my dissatisfaction with the current government, and the contempt with which they treat the average working Australian. And then I hear a song written by some pommy geezer which sums up the situation almost perfectly:

Can you hear us? Are you listening?

No power without accountability!


The ballot box is no guarantee that we achieve democracy
Our leaders claim their victory when only half the people have spoken
We have no job security in this global economy,
Our borders closed to refugees but our markets forced open

- from NPWA (2002) - Billy Bragg - full lyrics here.

I suppose the closest thing to Billy that Australia has produced is Peter Garrett, and he's now been absorbed into the system...


Listening to: Must I Paint You a Picture? - The Essential Billy Bragg

2 Comments:

At 11:28 am, Blogger ItsTJoint said...

I think your pain is global. There aren't very many governments that take good care of their workers. I think the only difference between politicians is the style of their haircuts and the jokes on late-nite television.

 
At 9:27 pm, Blogger Steph said...

I don't know what is going on lately. I know of at least four people who have lost their jobs totally out of the blue. I myself resigned after a promotion was taken away from me.

There is no job security anymore. It's frightening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home