Saturday, November 19, 2005

Karaoke Cotard

Random Top 5 time...

My Top 5 favourite albums to sing along to:

1) James Brown - Sex Machine - The Very Best of James Brown

I don't know
But whats ever I play
Its got to be funky!

2) Billy Bragg - Worker's Playtime

One of them's off her food
And the other one's off his 'ead
And both of them are off down the boozer

3) Jens Lekman - When I Said I Wanted to be Your Dog

Oh Julie, you know that I ain't for hire
But you can have me
You can trade me for your cigarette lighter

4) Woody Guthrie - Dustbowl Ballads

She was a good gal, long, tall and stout
Yes, she was a good gal, long, tall and stout
I had to get a steam shovel just to dig my darlin' out

5) Uncle Bill - Smoke

Have you ever fallen for a girl with different coloured eyes?
And sent her letters with one or two lies


Looking at this list I realize that every album on it is either sung in an unmistakable accent or in a distinct vocal style. So perhaps I'm not really singing along at all; I'm doing impersonations instead.


Listening to: Jens Lekman - When I Said I Wanted to be Your Dog

4 Comments:

At 11:34 am, Blogger Steph said...

I NEVER know what artists you are talking about let alone the songs. I'm musically retarded i think. Either that or my musical taste has not matured since high school.

Oh i tell a lie. I do know who James Brown is. But that's it.

 
At 9:35 am, Anonymous Jim Online said...

I really like the James Brown album. Some of the songs there are my all time favorite. James Brown does not fail to captivate me with his familiar melody. I think that he is one of the best singers that ever existed.

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

Well I know of James Brown, Woody Guthrie, Billy Bragg and I have heard the line "have you ever fallen for a girl with different coloured eyes" but it was in a song sung by Paul Kelly...
I sometimes think when these songs are shared it'd be lovley to be able to just click on to hear them! Sometimes there have been links so that's been great but considering I can only post images when I have a 'blogger coach' next to me I am no one to complain..the site is interesting. so thanks.

 
At 7:56 pm, Blogger cotard said...

Well spotted Miss Wendy; Uncle Bill is a bluegrass outfit fronted by Paul Kelly... they've only released the one album, but they toured Australia with it... it must've been 7 years or so ago... awesome sound... imagine a few Paul Kelly classics sung with a bluegrass twang and you've got Uncle Bill.

Jens Lekman is a Swedish crooner. There's some downloads here:
http://www.secretlycanadian.com/jenslekman/dept.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home